The unprecedented year of 2020 has finally come to a close. For many, this has been the worst year yet-job loss, death and sickness, an unsteady economy, and a seemingly hovering cloud of doom looming over the world. Although the year has had its many downs, it was also filled with lessons, love, and many blessings. So, as I look back over this incomparable year, I want to share with you some of the lessons that 2020 taught us as well as some amazing things that happened this year.
2. 2020 showed us that we can celebrate birthdays from six feet apart.
3. We learned in 2020 that we can eat at home if we really need to. Recipes were googled, banana bread was baked, and seafood was boiled.
4. We continued to survive and thrive through many health challenges and other adversities in 2020.
5. Our seniors adapted through NTI and managed to obtain their diplomas, and many started their journey into higher education.
6. Forever families were formed, and children were adopted in 2020.
7. People got engaged. Love was in the air all year, and they put a ring on it in 2020.
8. People took the time in quarantine to improve themselves. For some that meant reading more to engage the brain, and for others it meant working to improve their physical bodies.
9. 2020 taught us a lot about politics and the election process. We are so glad that it is over (and many of us are happy about the results).
10. “Santa Claus” still managed to squeeze down our chimneys to bless our children with gifts that put smiles on their faces in 2020.
11. 2020 rocked the foundation of some systemic issues in America and we learned that social justice is an important aspect of the human experience.
12. We learned to confront our biases and to stop vilifying people of color in 2020.
13. We also learned that you really can wear a mask all day without passing out.
14. 2020 was a severe headache for the wedding industry; but like all other industries, 2020 taught us to adapt and “make it work” within the guidelines given. Guest lists were slashed and those lucky enough to remain were seated six feet apart, but brides and grooms all over exchanged vows and became husband and wife.
15. We fostered and adopted pets, bought new cars and made Amazon the most popular business in the world.
16. 2020 taught us that we kinda like our spouses. Quarantine undoubtedly challenged many marriages, but made many stronger.
17. Just as with our spouses, we grew closer to our families. There is just something about being stuck in a house with others that makes you love them even more.
18. 2020 and remote learning taught us that teachers are essential workers. It also taught us that medical professionals are angels and grocery and delivery workers ROCK!
19. 2020 taught us to be grateful for what we have, because at a moment’s notice everything could be taken away. That said, I want to take this time to personally thank each and every one of you. You have supported my business, booked sessions, told your friends about my services, shared my posts, recommended me in FB groups, encouraged me, and much more. For that I am eternally grateful. Many businesses have folded this year, but Shannon Drummond Photography is still here and thriving.
20. The final thing that 2020 taught us was that no matter what happens in the world around us, we can smile and continue to have joy in our hearts. Let’s continue to be grateful, to show kindness to everyone, and to smile (even though people can’t see it through our masks). Let’s make 2021 the best year yet.